Monday, September 30, 2013

No-Bake Mac & Cheese

This has to be one of the few foods that actually tastes just as good or better, even when it's re-heated. For that reason alone, every mama should have a decent mac & cheese recipe in her repertoire. I have tried several over the years. In case you are wondering, it was a process to wean my kids off of that nasty stuff in the blue box! So far, this is our favorite, and the main reason why is that the kids don't like the baked versions that involve bread crumbs. (Not sure why considering the little dude is essentially a "carbivore" but whatever...)

I am not complaining, though, since this saves me time and money.

To make our no-bake mac & cheese, I use my personal revisions to this recipe. I omit the Dijon mustard, altogether, for personal taste preference. Also, instead of adding the frozen broccoli to cool down the dish, I serve it steamed on the side. As much as my kids like broccoli and other vegetables, (Really! They do!!) I cannot convince them to eat it mixed in with the mac & cheese.


Ingredients:

  • 8 ounces whole wheat elbow noodles (2 cups, or about 1/2 a box if you don't feel like measuring)
  • 1 3/4 cups low-fat milk -- divided (Okay, honestly, I often use whole milk because that is what we buy for the kids. This tastes good either way, but the whole milk is richer.)
  • 3 tablespoons flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • pinch of pepper (The original recipe called for 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper. I use black pepper which is what we always have on hand.)
  • 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or Colby-jack, whatever is on hand)
  • 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (The original recipe calls for shredded, but I use grated because we always have it.)

Directions:

  1. Boil a large pot of water and cook macaroni noodles according to package directions.
  2. Meanwhile, simmer 1 1/2 cups milk over medium-high heat. (I use my "green" ceramic frying pan for this.)
  3. Whisk the other 1/4 cup milk, flour, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a small bowl to combine, and then add the mixture to the simmering milk. Return to a simmer, stirring constantly for about 2-3 minutes, until the sauce thickens.
  4. Remove from heat and stir in cheeses until melted.
  5. Drain the pasta and then add the cheese sauce. Over medium-low heat, stir the macaroni and cheese for about 1 more minute, until heated. You can serve this right away, or as I mentioned above, re-heated. Sometimes, if I know we're going to have a hectic evening, I will make it during the day, and then re-heat it at dinner time. It's perfect either way, and my family eats it up.


No comments:

Post a Comment