Sunday, March 31, 2013

3-Layered Jell-o Eggs

{My Orange, Lime, and Cherry Jell-o Eggs}

According to my sister-in-law, Jill, "Jell-o tastes better in egg form." I'm taking this as a compliment as I was up late last night because I had this nutty idea to make three layers of Jell-o in my egg molds. Usually I make just one solid flavor, or two mixed together, as we often do when we make Jigglers. I couldn't really find satisfactory directions for how to do layered Jigglers online except for ones that included layers with whipped cream or yogurt like this one, which looks amazing, but was not what I had in mind. So, here is how I did it (and I am mainly writing this particular post for my own reference, but if it helps someone else out, then that is great, too). My experiment worked out, happily. I was only slightly disappointed because I had hoped the colors would be more vibrant. Perhaps next time, I will try this with different flavors or in a different order to see if what the results will be.

Ingredients:
  • 2 - 3 oz. package cherry gelatin (one was Jell-o brand the other was Kroger)
  • 2 - 0.3 oz. packages sugar free lime gelatin
  • 2 - 0.3 oz. packages sugar free orange gelatin
  • boiling water
  • ice cubes
  • cooking spray
Materials:
  • 2 - Jell-o Jiggler egg molds (each makes 6 eggs)
  • mixing bowl
  • spoon
  • tablespoon
  • 1 cup measuring cup
  • funnel
  • cake pan
Directions:
  1. Spray insides of egg molds with cooking spray. Snap molds together and set them in a cake pan.
  2. Dissolve 2 packages cherry gelatin in 1 1/4 cup boiling water. Stir completely, about 3 minutes. Then, using a tablespoon and a funnel, pour two tablespoons gelatin into each egg cup. Pour any remaining gelatin into a separate container. 
  3. Just slide the entire cake pan into the refrigerator to chill. I did this for about 45 minutes, which was probably 15-20 minutes longer than necessary, but since I forgot to do the quick-set directions, I didn't want to take any chances.
  4. Dissolve 2 packages sugar free lime gelatin in 1 cup boiling water and a few ice cubes (I used about 4). 
  5. Remove cake pan containing egg molds from refrigerator. Add 2 tablespoons lime gelatin to each egg cup using a funnel.
  6. Return to refrigerator and chill for at least 20-30 minutes.
  7. For the top layer, dissolve 2 packages of sugar free orange gelatin in 1 cup boiling water and a few ice cubes.
  8. Again, using the funnel and tablespoon, pour gelatin into egg molds to top them off. Pour remaining gelatin into the extra container. I found that this last layer was not quite 2 tablespoons per egg.
  9. Return molds to the refrigerator and allow to completely set up, about 3-4 hours. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment